Monday, February 13, 2012

Family

One of the biggest disadvantages of living in a remote, mountain town is being so far away from family. I have a bit of a reputation for “independence,” when in reality what I’m most often seeking is adventure. (It’s just that sometimes, being independent is a requirement of the adventuring gig, you know?) But the truth is, I don’t get to see my family often enough.

So it was a rare treat last week when I was able to join 12 other women in my family at a cousin’s cabin near Bear Valley for our “Snowshoe Jamboree.” Can I just tell you how much ridiculous fun it was? And can I further state how awesome my family is?

There is a whole lot to be said for surrounding yourself with people who have known you since the day you were born. People from whom you do not need to hide your embarrassing truths because they most likely know them already. People who can laugh as loudly as you can, and do so regularly. People who, in so many obvious ways, are quite a bit like yourself.

There was hiking involved, and snowshoeing. A good amount of eating, of course, and some consumption of wine. One lucky ultrarunner could run straight out the cabin door, no driving needed, to run trails through the nearby state park.

But all of those things were just joyful accoutrements to the main activity of laughing, sharing, and remembering with family.

Rumor has it this will be an annual trip, and I'm already looking forward next year's rendition.

























5 comments:

  1. Hey - you were in Big Trees! That's my family's favorite vacation spot. Each time we visit, we contemplate living there forever. Glad to hear it's a special area for your family as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, that is exactly where we were. (And the trees are quite large!) We had to drive up to the road closure at Lake Alpine to find any snow for shoeing, but that was probably the best scenery anyway.

      Delete
  2. Gretchen, I love your family! Definitely the female side of it. I can't in my mind even imagine having so much fun and be active with my family (what is kind of obvious, although I am sure that'd like to get together for one evening and get drunk and full of food). Anyhow, since I don't even have one (a family) here, in US, please adopt me. Also, to your all-girls hiking/backpacking club. Oh, what the heck, just about anything you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga - I have not forgotten that you will need to join us on the next all-girls backpacking trip! I think you would fit right in to both groups. :) Even though your family is not in this country, you have done a wonderful job of making a family of the running community.

      Delete